Friday Fictioneers – A World Within

Copyright Melanie Greenwood

Copyright Melanie Greenwood

Genre: Fantasy

Word Count: 97

Title: A World Within

“This can’t be right.”

She looked at the paper in her hands. Left at Maryland, left at the first stop sign, down a long road, then in the center of the park at the end of the street there is a maze. We’ll be waiting for you. Noon sharp, don’t be late.

They had promised a transformation. So where were they?

“I knew this was a bad idea.”

Just then the maze began to rustle and shake. A man, not more than 12 inches tall, appeared from the brush.

“Follow me.”

She followed with trepidation. The transformation began.

34 Comments

1. Midwestern Plant Girl

Very kewl!

Thank you! πŸ™‚

2. bykimberlylynne

Reminds me of Bugs Bunny: I knew I should’a taken a right turn at Albuquerque.

Lol! I think Bugs Bunny was a lot more confident than she. πŸ˜‰

3. Priceless Joy

this is a very interesting twist. I would like to read more.

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

I’m glad you liked it, thank you. πŸ˜€

4. rochellewisoff

Dear eLPY,

Welcome to Friday Fictioneers.

Sounds like a fascinating transformation. A bit Alice in Wonderlandish. Nice.

Shalom,

Rochelle

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you Rochelle and thank you for creating and sharing this challenge. I think it’s an excellent idea and great way to express and challenge one’s creativity. I found you btw through Alan at Ohm Sweet Ohm. πŸ™‚

I’m looking forward to discovering more about her fascination as well. πŸ˜‰

1. rochellewisoff

Dear eLPy,

I’m amazed at how much this group has grown since I joined in 2012. I wish I could say I created it but that honor belongs to an author named Madison Woods.I posted my first flash fiction in April of that year and by October, when Madison stepped down, I found myself in the the facilitator’s chair. It’s one of the best decisions I ever made.

Happy to have you aboard and thanks to Alan. πŸ˜‰

Shalom,

Rochelle

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Wow, props to you for stepping up to the plate. If Madison is still around I’d bet she’s quite proud of you and happy to have had you take over. πŸ™‚

I have no trouble being long-winded so this challenge is great for me in that I’m forced to be concise and yet still interesting.

Cheers!

1. rochellewisoff

Madison has told me many times over that she’s glad I adopted her baby.

πŸ˜€

5. just throw strikes

Very intriguing. I need to know more about the world in the maze and the little man leading her into it!

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thanks for visiting and commenting, glad you liked it. Stay tuned for the weeks to come, maybe we’ll learn more yet. πŸ˜‰

6. Claire Fuller

I’m reading it with trepidation too! What could the transformation be?

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you! I’m glad you were able to get a feel for the character’s anxiety. πŸ™‚

7. Sandra

A new take on Alice in Wonderland. I think she’s about to get a whole lot smaller, Nice one.

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you! I guess we’ll just have to see just what this means for her. It does have some Alice in Wonderland feel to it doesn’t it? Honestly I hadn’t had that tale on my brain when it came to me.

8. storydivamg

One of the better fantasy stories this week. I like the way you join it to the “real world” without all the gilded hype so common in this type of short story.

All my best,
    MG

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you very much for your comments and visit. A life immersed in fantasy provides for many interesting things. πŸ˜‰

9. Margaret

That’s going to be quite a transformation. I hope she knows what she’s in for. Well told.

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you for visiting. πŸ™‚ Yes I do agree she’s in for a new life…

10. Laurence

Nice!!
    You’ve got me wanting more!!

Thank you. πŸ™‚

11. BjΓΆrn Rudberg (brudberg)

A very interesting take.. that begs to be continued.. and you are right.. writing out of our comfort zone gives great results ..

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you very much! Perhaps it will be continued… πŸ˜‰

12. rgayer55

a Lilliputian? I always wondered what a Barbie doll would look like if blown up to 5’10”
    I doubt she’d be very proportional. Nice work.

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

She’d probably need a sandwich and a piece of cake for starters! πŸ˜‰

Thanks!

13. Corinna

I’ve not the right words to describe, however, “transformation” in this setting is indeed wonderfully mysterious!

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

And mysteriously wonderful! What would drive a woman to seek transformation? And what does one do when this is where it begins? I’m absolutely curious, but we’ll see maybe there’s something to be learned from this week’s (yesterday’s) Friday Fictioneers. πŸ˜‰

14. Pingback: W101 - Day 11 - 12 Years Old - Little Face Publications, L.L.C.

15. Pingback: W101 - Short Story: A Letter - Little Face Publications, L.L.C.

16. corinna

I agree it would be nice to see where this goes. I lile the twist of the endlessness of a maze with the transformation that everyone seeks.

Fun!

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

True, transformation isn’t always so cut and dry. Life itself is transformation; we turn from this bald little helpless baby to either bald or white/grey-headed wise older person! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for your comment and visits. And stay tuned, part 3 of this will come sooner than later.

Thanks for reading! Join the convo.

This is a demo store for testing purposes β€” no orders shall be fulfilled. Dismiss