Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge – Theme: Green

Four flower spike on Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows X Zygopabstia Blue Bird

Zygoneria X Zygopabstia = Neopabstopetalum

Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge – Theme: Green

So I’ve decided to start doing some challenges – been wanting to – and thanks to Allan at Ohm Sweet Ohm I found Cee’s Photographyย and the numerous challenges set up there! Seeing as it’s Tuesday I’m going to start with today’s challenge, the Fun Foto Challenge. This week’s theme is Green. Immediately I wanted to use this picture of an in bloom orchid of mine – with a less than pleasant smell. You might not always think green when you think flowers but I’m sure you’ll appreciate this little green flower, well sort of little, less than 2 inches. The two contrasting colors really remind me of my brother (and me pops for that matter ;)). Enjoy!

Cee's Weekly Fun Foto Challenge - Green

Cee’s Weekly Fun Foto Challenge – Green

Oh and to add to the fun of it this particular hybrid (complex I believe they’d say) is Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows x Zygopabstia Blue Bird; the name given to crosses of these two genera is Neopabstopetalum, as well as Woodwardara. Ha ha, have FUN with that (I had to go look it up again to make sure I got the spelling right).

Cee's Fun Foto Challenge - Green: Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows x Zygopabstia Blue Bird

Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge – Green:
Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows x Zygopabstia Blue Bird

Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows X Zygopabstia Blue Bird in bloom

Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows X Zygopabstia Blue Bird in bloom

Four flower spike on Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows X Zygopabstia Blue Bird Zygoneria X Zygopabstia = Neopabstopetalum

Four flower spike on Zygoneria Adelaide Meadows X Zygopabstia Blue Bird
Zygoneria X Zygopabstia = Neopabstopetalum

20 Comments

1. ChristineR

Wow, that’s pretty colourful. Love it.

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you! It took me some time to really capture the color most true to form. Luckily I was able to capture it by adjusting my camera settings, though a few pics required some post-processing to get the most accurate image. I love the bright green of them against the deeper purple.

Thanks for visiting & sharing!

2. bebs1

What a unique plant and it is really beautiful!

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you!! Zygos have become some of my favorites. I believe the majority of the true Zygopetalum species (those found in the wild) and Zygopetalum hybrids are quite fragrant with lovely scents (unlike this one, lol). I’ve been drawn to their colors (quite often combinations of green and purples, browns, dark reds) and shapes. I plan to post pics of others I’ve had bloom soon, you might find them interesting as well.

Thanks again. ๐Ÿ˜€

3. Allan G. Smorra

Thank you for mentioning my blog and kudos for taking up a photo challenge. I like your orchid photos here.
    Allan

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Absolutely! I haven’t been around for a bit so I’m sure I missed a bunch of great images from you nevertheless I do enjoy your posts and photography. Like I said in my comment, I really like your Blast from the Past feature and appreciated the article on the Voyage of the Honda Knot from couple years back, insightful.

Glad you like the pics. There’s more to come, lol ;). I’m quite taken by the beauty, elegance and unique form of this HUGE family of flowers, as well as the art you might say in learning how best to care for them and keep them happy enough to grow and bloom. It’s become a bit of a Zen hobby for me. The next trick is learning how to improve photographing them all to better represent their true color and nature, not always easy.

Thanks again!

1. Allan G. Smorra

If you get a chance, take a look at suejudd.com and her Beauty in Decay series. Her use of High Key/Low Key lighting with flowers is progressing fast and the results are impressive.

Allan

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

That sounds excellent, thank you I will. The title alone interests me. I will be sure to let her know you sent me.

1. Allan G. Smorra

Thanks. Sue will enjoy having another person reading her posts.

4. frizztext

good to have a challenge like Cee’s to follow…

5. ideflex

Gorgeous and exotic all in one! If you like challenges that combine all of your talents or you just feel like commenting, sounding off or bringing attention to a fabulous link, you might enjoy participating in the Two Cents Tuesday Challenge at

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you very much! I was pleasantly surprised with their display though they have this almost spicy chemical like smell that I seriously almost thought was perhaps residual spray used in the greenhouse they’re from. No, they just stink. I’ve got another such hybrid (one of same parents) in bud now. We’ll see what it has to show.

I’ll go have a look here in a few. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Cee Neuner

Beautiful greens. You did it properly. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Thank you very much!

7. Aussie Emjay

Well green & purple are my two most favourite colours so I love this orchid! BTW – when I was a teenager in the early 70s I had wallpaper which was swirls of purple & green – it was magnificent! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Excellent! They are a great color combination. I can see swirls of purple and green in the 70s for sure, and I believe it was magnificent.

Are you currently in Australia? Just curious because I believe Zygopetalums (which this plant is a hybrid of) are a lot more common in Australia. While looking for different and unusual hybrids I’ve come across more NZ & AUS growers but don’t ever feel like going through the process of importing plants, lol. I wondered if they’re a common flower there or just common amongst orchid addicts!

I have another one in bud that will probably look a lot like this one but maybe a little bigger flowers.

Thanks a lot for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, much appreciated. ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Aussie Emjay

Hi there – no, I’ve been living in Washington DC for 14 years now (married an American). I don’t know very much about orchids I’m afraid – I have one but think its name is Sofia something or something-Sofia. It flowers even though I totally neglect it – a delicate pink colour.

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Oh nice, DC’s a nice place!

Good for you for managing to keep it not only alive but flowering, it likes you! ๐Ÿ˜€ As they say, Good Growing. Post a pic someday next time it blooms?

8. Laurence

Wow that is a pretty one! Glad your back in Cyrgoneria Adelaide Neopabstopetalum!! The names are quite corful as well!!

1. eLPy13 (Post author)

Ah thank you! Yes the names do get interesting. Wouldn’t you know it though I can name off the top of my head more than half of them. Not all of them have names – which the Orchid community just calls NoID and is important if you breed because NoID have no market value – and some of them don’t have their own hybrid name but are simply referred to by their cross, such as this one in the photo. The genus that results from the parental cross has a name but this plant itself has not been registered. Orchids are typically registered with the Royal Horticultural Society… and… I could go on… and on…lol… but I won’t, for now!

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for reading! Join the convo.

This is a demo store for testing purposes โ€” no orders shall be fulfilled.